This is a tasty way to serve Mac & Cheese, especially if you take advantage of the optional topping you can incorporate.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Cabot Cheese. For more cheesy recipes, visit cabotcheese.coop.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Panko (Japanese-style) breadcrumbs
- 12 slices flavorful smoked bacon
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- ½ cup Cabot 2% Plain Greek-Style Yogurt or Cabot Plain Greek-Style Yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 8 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups), plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 medium clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional extras (see below)
Set EGG to indirect cooking at 350°F/177°C.
Heat oil on preheated Half Moon Cast Iron Griddle or a grill-safe pan. Add breadcrumbs and stir in pan until golden, about 1 1⁄2 minutes. immediately scrape into small bowl and set aside.
Add bacon to Half Moon Griddle and cook until crisp; transfer to paper towels to drain, then crumble or chop and set aside.
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni according to package directions until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool.
While macaroni cooks, combine yogurt and mayonnaise in blender; add cheddar, vinegar, hot sauce, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper; blend until the consistency of mayonnaise and nearly smooth, stirring and scraping down side of container as needed to help ingredients “liquefy”.
In large bowl, toss together macaroni, cheddar dressing and bacon in large bowl, mixing well. Serve topped with additional cheese and toasted breadcrumbs. Surround with bowls of optional extras as desired.
*Optional extras: sliced green onions, chopped Italian parsley, slivered fresh basil, raw fresh corn kernels, diced fresh tomatoes, diced bell peppers, thinly sliced romaine lettuce
Hi. Made this last night and it was just ok but Day 2 heated up. Wow!! Fantastic. I think baking instructions need to be a final step.