A delicious blend of seasoning, Big Green Egg Habanero Hot Sauce and spices is added directly to the ground meat, and the highly spiced meat is used to stuff bell peppers.
- 6 bell peppers (red, yellow, green, or a combination)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground chuck or ground round
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (1½-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup firmly packed chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (1 to 2 limes)
- 2 tbsp Big Green Egg Habanero Hot Sauce – add more if you like it really spicy!
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese (2 ounces)
Set the EGG for direct cooking without the convEGGtor at 350°F/177°C.
Place the Dutch Oven on the grid and preheat for 10 minutes.
Cut off the tops of the bell peppers and remove the seeds and ribs. If the peppers will not sit upright, cut a thin slice of flesh off the base to level the bottom. Set aside.
Pour the olive oil into the Dutch Oven to heat briefly. Add the ground chuck, onion and garlic. Close the lid of the EGG and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the meat is browned. Add the jerk seasoning and stir. Close the lid of the EGG and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the ground beef is completely cooked. Add the rice, chicken stock, tomatoes, thyme sprigs, bay leaves and ginger to the Dutch Oven and stir gently. Place the lid on the Dutch Oven and close the lid of the EGG. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
Remove the Dutch Oven from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and, using a fork, gently fluff the rice mixture. Remove and discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Gently stir in the black beans, cilantro, scallion, lime juice and hot sauce (add more if desired). Fill each of the bell peppers with 1 to 1½ cups of the filling.
Place the peppers on a Perforated Grid and place the pan on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and cook for 30 minutes, or until the ingredients are thoroughly cooked. Transfer the peppers from the EGG to a platter and sprinkle each pepper with cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 6