Recipe courtesy Chef Holly Chute, Executive Chef, Governor’s Mansion. Find Holly on Twitter @ChefHollyChute!
- 1 cup grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- ¼ cup Oliver Farms Pecan Oil or Butter
- 1 cup country ham, fine dice
- ½ cup diced scallions
- ½ cup red pepper, fine dice
- ½ cup yellow pepper, fine dice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
Cook diced ham in butter or oil until almost crisp. Add diced peppers and scallions. Cook until soft. Add cream, water and spices. Bring to a boil, gradually stir in grits. Bring back to a boil, then lower to simmer. Continue cooking for 45-60 minutes, adding a little more liquid if needed; they need to be thick. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Pour into greased 9” x 13” pan. Chill overnight.
- 1 pound 26-30 count shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail on
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Combine olive oil, Dijon, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add shrimp to mixture and marinate about 30 minutes
- 1 red pepper, seeded, membrane removed, cut in 1” squares
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded, membrane removed, cut in 1” squares
- 1 red onion, peeled, cut in 1” squares, separate layers
Cut grits into 1” squares. Broil in oven on both sides until golden. Thread wooden skewers with 1 grits cube then pierce one piece each of red pepper, yellow pepper and red onion. Chill until ready to use.
Set the EGG for indirect cooking at 350ºF/177ºC. Place skewers on the cooking grid; close dome and cook 5-7 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Use spatula to carefully lift from underneath.