Using lentils in the cupcakes provides a healthier option for dessert, and cooking it in the EGG enhances the delicious flavor.
Recipe adapted from Lentils. For more information about Lentils, visit Lentils.ca.
- 1 ¾ cups (435 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup (185 ml) cocoa
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) canned lentils, rinsed and drained (half of 1-19 oz/540 ml can)
- ½ cup (125 ml) canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 ml) instant coffee (optional)
Set the EGG for indirect cooking at 350°F/177°C with the convEGGtor.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt, breaking up any lumps of brown sugar and cocoa.
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the beans, oil, and eggs until well blended; add the milk, vanilla, and instant coffee and pulse until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
Divide the batter among paper-lined muffin tins, filling them about ¾ full. Bake for 25 minutes, until the tops are springy to the touch. Tip them a bit in their pans to let the steam escape and help them cool. Cool completely before frosting with your choice of frostings.
Makes 18 cupcakes