Thanks to Rusty Bowers from Pine Street Market and Springer Mountain Farms for this recipe.
- 1 gallon of water
- 8 oz Kosher salt
- 8 oz dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup whole black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 sprigs rosemary, or 1 tsp dry
- 6 sprigs thyme, or 1 tsp dry
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed with the side of a chef’s knife
- 4 bone-in Springer Mountain Farms’ chicken legs
One day before the cook, combine the water, salt, sugar, pepper, spices and garlic in a large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer until the salt and brown sugar dissolve. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.
Three hours before the cook, add the chicken to the brine in the refrigerator.
Set the EGG for direct cooking without a convEGGtor at 350°F/177°C.
Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with a paper towel. Discard the brine.
Place the chicken on the grid and grill until the thickest part of the chicken reads an internal temperature of 165°F, about 20 minutes. Allow the chicken to rest for 15 minutes before serving with the salad.
Tomato Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, torn into pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, torn into pieces
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt to taste
Tomato Cucumber Salad Instructions
For the Tomato Cucumber Salad: place the tomatoes, cucumber, herbs and red pepper in a bowl; season with salt and stir to combine.