This salad can be used as an appetizer, side dish, or main dish! Whichever you choose, it will add both color and flavor to your menu!
Recipe adapted from California Walnuts. For more information, visit walnuts.org.
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed
- 2 large jalapeno peppers
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced ½-inch thick
- Freshly squeezed lime juice and sea salt to taste
- 4 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup very small cubes Chipotle Cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- Cheese Walnut Chips
Set EGG for direct cooking at 400°F/204°C.
Grill corn, peppers and onion on EGG until lightly charred on all sides; remove from EGG. Cut corn away from cob. Cut jalapeno peppers into thin slices and cut bell pepper and onion into bite-size strips. Drizzle with lime juice and season to taste with salt; let cool or chill.
Pile lettuce into 4 salad bowls. Top with equal amounts of grilled vegetables, walnuts, cheese, and black beans, forming rows of each. Serve with avocado dressing and Cheese Walnut Chips (both recipes below).
Avocado Chipotle Dressing Ingredients
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon each: sugar and garlic salt
Avocado Chipotle Dressing Instructions
Puree all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a small bowl and press plastic wrap onto the surface. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cheese Walnut Chips Instructions
Cut 2 corn tortillas into 8 wedges (preferably a homemade-style tortilla). Place on a Half Moon Griddle and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons shredded pepper Jack or chipotle Cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 4 servings