First rubbed with Red Chile Rub, then topped with a sweet mango salsa, these scallops are like yin and yang, a perfect balance between cool and spicy. When served, the scallops should look like they have been dusted with confetti, so when making the salsa, be sure to finely dice all of the vegetables.
- 3⁄4 cup diced fresh mango
- 1⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound large sea scallops (12)
- 2 tablespoons Red Chile Rub (below)
Set the EGG for direct cooking with the Cast Iron Grid.
Preheat the EGG to 500ºF.
Using a wooden spoon, combine the mango, bell pepper, red onion, scallions, mint, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and stir well. Set aside.
Season the scallops generously with the chili rub and place on the Grid. Close the lid of the EGG and grill the scallops for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden and lightly cooked. Transfer the scallops to a platter.
To assemble the dish, place 3 scallops on each plate and top with 1⁄4 cup of the salsa. Serve immediately.
Red Chile Rub Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon red chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Red Chile Rub Instructions
Toast the cumin seed, coriander seed, and chile flakes in a small skillet on the stovetop for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Transfer the toasted spices to a spice grinder along with the chile powder, salt, paprika, and garlic powder. Grind for 15 to 20 seconds, until the spices are completely ground. Transfer to an airtight container until ready to use. Makes 1⁄2 cup.