This outdoorsy recipe is courtesy of O’Neill Williams.
- ¼ cup Pecan oil or butter
- 1 cup country ham finely diced
- ½ cup diced scallions
- ½ cup red pepper finely diced
- ½ cup yellow pepper finely diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup grits
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Cooked diced ham in butter or oil until almost crisp. Add diced peppers and scallions. Cook until soft. Add cream, water and spices. Bring to a boil, gradually stir in grits. Bring to a boil, them lower to simmer. Continue cooking for 45-60 minutes adding a little more liquid if needed; they need to be thick. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Pour into greased Rectangular Drip Pan. Chill over night.
- 1 pound shrimp, 26-30 count, pealed and deveined, tail on
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Combine olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add shrimp to mixture and marinate about 30 minutes.
- 1 red pepper, seeded and membrane removed, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and membrane removed, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 red onion, peeled, cut in 1 inch squares, separate layers
Cut grits into 1 inch squares. Broil in oven on both sides until golden. Thread Flexible Skewers with 1 grits cube then pierce on one piece each of shrimp, red pepper, yellow pepper, and red onion. Chill until ready to use.
Set the EGG for indirect cooking at 350°F/177°C, with foil covered convEGGtor in place legs down. Place skewers on plate setter; close dome and cook 5-7 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
Use spatula to carefully lift from underneath.